International Consultant (Individual)
Special Service Agreement
30 working days from March to July 2015
Office of MRC Secretariat in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and/or Home Country according to agreed work plan
Flood Management and Mitigation Programme (FMMP), Technical Support Division (TSD)
- To prepare a Discussion Paper on possible themes and their merits, and to present it in a one-day Technical Working Group Meeting with the MRC Member Countries in order to decide on the theme, contents and main features of the AMFR-2014;
- To undertake an in-depth analysis of 2014 flash flood situations with the technical coordination support to be provided by the OM and FFE of the FMMP/RFMMC. The AMFR-2014 should be based on the preliminary National Flood Reports and other flood related data and information such as causes and mechanism of flooding; flood extent, water depth during flood events, duration maps; satellite images of flash flood events; and flood damage in standard categories etc. in the various regions of the LMB;
- To explore and fill up the data and information gaps, if necessary, for hydro-meteorological information for better analysis of the report; the report should incorporate in the introductory part of the AMFR-2014 the deficit or surplus rainfall value over the LMB based on the comparison with the long term average basin rainfall;
- To adjust the structure of the Annual Mekong Flood Report such, that river floods and flash floods are both thoroughly analyzed and described, and impact of the floods are separately identified and assessed in terms of casualties and damages. Casualties and damages will be identified, quantified and presented for the Member Country’s territory, being part of the LMB, as well as for each Member Country as a whole;
- As the identification of Flash Flood impacts in terms of casualties and damages is a complex process, the IHFE is requested to carefully interact with the FMMP and NDCE and to come up with recommendations that may include taking advantage of the Annual Performance Evaluation Report of the MRC-Flash Flood Guidance System. Likewise the IHFE may also take advantage of the Annual Performance Evaluation Report of the Mekong Flood Forecasting System for the Mekong River mainstream;
- To check and where needed adjust the structure of the AMFR-2014 in accordance with the agreed format and content, and to edit the AMFR-2014 in UK English language standard in easy readable language;
- To prepare a summary learning note on collected understanding and lessons learned about the process undergone in carrying out the work and make recommendations on improvements for the next AMFR publications;
- To organize and implement, in close cooperation with the OM and FFE of the FMMP/RFMMC an internal MRCS round consultation with the FMMP/RFMMC management and concerned staff on the draft AMFR-2014;
- To provide inputs (ppt and color printed copies) for the Regional Technical Meeting (RTM) and Regional Consultation Meeting (RCM) with representatives of the NMCs and responsible National Line Agencies on the draft final AMFR-2014, which is tentatively scheduled in the June and July 2014 respectively;
- To process all comments in good coordination with the MRCS and FMMP/RFMMC and present a final draft version of the AMFR-2014 for approval by the MRCS;
- To duly perform other tasks as required and deemed necessary by the FMMP/RFMMC.
- MSc. or PhD level university degree in a field of study closely related to water engineering , i.e., hydrology, hydraulics, flood plain analysis and flood disaster management and/or integrated water resources management;
- Long-term experience in a field closely related to , i.e., hydrology, hydraulics, flood plain analysis and flood disaster management;
- Minimum of 15-20 years working experience in the field of integrated water resources management, irrigation and drainage and/or disaster/flood management and mitigation;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in working in one or more MRC Member Countries;
- Have been working with modern technology for collection, processing and presentation of data and information;
- General knowledge and experience with remote sensing imaging, satellite imaging, GIS mapping and experience with designing and writing general reports, including structuring, editing, presenting, documenting and designing lay-out;
- General understanding of meteorological/hydrological processes, hydraulic and hydrodynamic processes, topo-hydrographic conditions, generating and/or affecting flood conditions;
- General understanding of the needs for meteorological, hydrological and hydraulic data collection, hydrologic and hydraulic/hydrodynamic modeling, flood forecasting and early warning processes to reduce the vulnerability of the communities living in the LMB.
The application should include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, and (iii) MRC Personal History Form. The position title and section/division must be indicated in the cover letter.
Closing date for applications:
6 February 2015 extended to 27 February 2015
The Terms of Reference can be downloaded from the download box. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
The application should be sent to:
Mekong River Commission
Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane (OSV)
P.O. Box 6101, 184 Fa Ngoum Road
Ban Sithane Neua, Sikhottabong District,
Vientiane 01000, Lao PDR.
Tel: (856) 21 263 263