The 3rd Regional Stakeholder Forum on Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan
The Mekong River Commission (MRC) aims for the sustainable development of the Lower Mekong River Basin for the benefit of its people. The MRC is a platform for water diplomacy and regional cooperation in which member states share the benefits of common water resources despite different national interests. It also acts as a regional knowledge hub on water resources management that helps to inform the decision-making process based on scientific evidence.
Climate change is a fundamental threat to sustainable development and the fight against poverty. Climate change is already impacting countries and communities around the world with the most vulnerable hit the hardest. Recognizing the critical threats to economies, ecosystem sustainability and social harmony in the Lower Mekong Basin and to the pivotal role of the MRC in addressing climate change adaptation needs. Since 2009 MRC has developed Climate Change Adaptation Initiative to provide knowledge, tools and capacity building and other assistance to the Member Countries to better adapt to climate change.
Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan (MASAP) has been formulated as a regional adaptation strategy and is part of the MRC’s commitment stated in the MRC Basin Development Strategy (BDS) 2011-2015 and 2016-2020. The MASAP is setting a vision for the Lower Mekong Basin, aiming at strengthening the basin-wide resilience and ensuring sustainable development of the Basin in line with the 1995 Agreement on the Cooperation for the Sustainable Development of the Mekong River Basin. The MASAP sets out the strategic priorities and actions at basin level to address climate change risks on the basin and strengthen basin-wide resilience.
The regional stakeholder forum on MASAP aims to share and consult the 2nd draft of the Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan to its relevant stakeholder groups; discuss and engage stakeholders on suitable regional action plan for climate change adaptation in the context of Lower Mekong Basin. It has following specific objectives:
- Sharing the draft Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan undertaken by the MRC
- Seeking the viewpoints, recommendations and suggestions of concerned stakeholders in order to improve and finalize the MASAP
- Sharing information on finalization and next steps for future engagement of stakeholders in implementing the MASAP
- Creating a platform and network for all relevant and interested stakeholders to share key issues and concerns regarding climate change adaptation.
The Forum expects to have the following representatives and participants:
- MRC Member Countries including National Climate Change Focal Agencies, and Implementing Agencies
- Research Institutes and University
- INGOs and LNGOs
- International river basin organizations
- Local authorities and communities
- Private sector and company
- Development partners
- Other interested groups
Date and venue
26 June 2017, LAO PLAZA HOTEL, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Documents and Presentations of the Forum
- Concept note and Agenda
- Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan - draft v3
- Summary of draft Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan
- Regional report on overview of policy for climate change and adaptation in the Lower Mekong Basin
- Working paper on Basin-wide Assessments of Climate Change Impacts on Water and Water Related Resources and Sectors in the Lower Mekong Basin
- PPT1 - Keynote speaker on complementarity of Regional Climate Change Adaptation Strategy to National Strategies - the Danube case
- PPT2 - MASAP formulation process
- PPT3 - The MRC Basin Development Strategy and linkages of MASAP & other Basin-wide Sectoral Strategies
- PPT4 - Review of International Experience on formulation of Adaptation Strategy
- PPT5 - Policy review on climate change adaptation
- PPT6 - Basin-wide Assessments of climate change impacts and vulnerability
- PPT7 - Mekong Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan
- FORUM REPORT
Towards a paperless meeting.
To help preserve our environment, we hope to reduce the amount of paper we print for this meeting. For full reports and thick documents, may we advise participants to refer to the e-documents or please bring your own printouts to the meeting.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Nguyen Dinh Cong
Climate Change Adaptation Specialist, Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane
T: (856-21) 263 263 E:firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Duong Hai Nhu
Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane
T: (856-21) 263 263 E:email@example.com
Ms. Varaphone Silaphet
Secretary of Planning Division, Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane
T: (856-21) 263263 Ext: 2115 E:firstname.lastname@example.org