Regional Consultant for a Study on Sustainable Management and Development of the Mekong River including Impacts by Mainstream Hydropower Projects
Regional Consultant (Individual)
12 months between 1 April 2016 – 31 March 2017
Office of MRC Secretariat in Vientiane, Lao PDR with possible travels to the MRC Member Countries
- Liaise with the Regional Technical Working Group (RTWG) of the Council Study to discuss and agree on technical issues, results and conclusions of the Council Study;
- Liaise with National Mekong Committees and relevant line agencies to ensure their necessary inputs and feedback to the studies and the processes undertaken;
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders to ensure a broad stakeholder engagement in the design of the study and throughout the conduct of the study to ensure transparency and ownership of major groups interested in the results and conclusions of the Council Study;
- Liaise with MRC Council Study Teams (both Thematic and Discipline Teams) to produce deliverables of the Council Study on time according to the agreed scope and workplan;
- Manage and monitor the implementation and budget of the Council Study and alert the MRCS Senior Management Team to potential problems that could result in delays in implementation as well as possible solutions;
- Support MRC Council Study Teams in preparing TORs and mobilizing resources (national, regional and international consultants) for implementing the Council Study within budget availability and scope of works;
- Provide guidance to MRC Council Study Teams in order to ensure technical works of different teams are well linked and integrated across geographic scales and technical issues and avoid duplicate works among the teams;
- Provide technical support to MRC Council Study Teams on all technical aspects of the Council Study such as scenario formulation and assessment, input data collection and verification, assessment tools and results validation to ensure consistency and quality of inputs and outputs;
- Organize regular meetings of coordination groups to report progress and challenges as well as organize consultation workshops to share, discuss and validate results of the Study;
- Drafting overall progress reports based on inputs from the different Thematic and Discipline Teams and working papers as required. He/she will also help MRC Council Study Teams to prepare Thematic reports and support document.
- Advanced degree in Water Resources Management or a related discipline including experiences with river basin management and integrated water resources management;
- At least 10 years of experiences in discipline of Water Resources Management and Development particularly on hydropower, agriculture, irrigation, water supplies, navigation, flood management;
- At least 6 years of experiences in basin-wide assessment of water resources development in the Mekong basin or other large international river basin;
- At least 6 years of experiences in project/programme management including the formulation, coordination and implementation of international programmes;
- Working experience with MRC and riparian countries is desirable;
- Excellent communication and coordination skills;
- Capacity to work in a multicultural environment essential;
- Computer proficiency and good knowledge of the possibilities and use of electronic information systems;
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
Only nationals of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Vietnam are eligible to apply. The application should include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, and (iii) MRC Personal History Form. The position title and section/division must be indicated in the cover letter.
Closing date for applications:
12 February 2016
The Terms of Reference can be downloaded from the download box. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
The application should be sent to:
Mekong River Commission
Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane (OSV)
P.O. Box 6101, 184 Fa Ngoum Road
Ban Sithane Neua, Sikhottabong District,
Vientiane 01000, Lao PDR.
Tel: (856) 21 263 263