Vision and Mission
Vision for the Mekong River Basin
An economically prosperous, socially just and environmentally sound Mekong River Basin.
Vision for the Mekong River Commission
A world-class, financially secure, International River Basin Organisation serving the Mekong countries to achieve the Basin Vision.
Mission of the Mekong River Commission
To promote and coordinate sustainable management and development of water and related resources for the countries’ mutual benefit and the people’s well-being.
Key Result Areas and Outcomes
The MRC’s work focuses on delivering outcomes in four key result areas. These are concrete priority areas that the organisation seeks to influence to advance its mission and role as a regional river basin organisation in the Mekong.
Under each key result area, the strategic outcomes and approach to deliver these outcomes are outlined as follows:
- Enhancement of national plans, projects and resources from basin-wide perspectives
- Policy makers and project planners increase common understanding and application of evidence-based knowledge
- National sector planning agencies optimise environmental management and sustainable water resources development for basin-wide benefits
- National planning and implementing agencies share and apply guidance for the development and management of water and related projects and resources
- Strengthening of regional cooperation
- Member Countries implement the MRC Procedures effectively and coherently
- Effective dialogue and cooperation between Member Countries and strategic engagement of regional partners and stakeholders on transboundary water management
- Better monitoring and communication of the basin conditions
- Member Countries strengthen basin-wide monitoring, forecasting, impact assessment and dissemination of results for better decision-making
- Leaner River Basin Organisation
- MRC transitions to a more efficient and effective organisation in line with the decentralisation Roadmap and related reform plans